Finalists have been named for the 2024 BC Tourism Industry Awards and Tourism Kelowna is in the running.
The organization is up for the Community Contribution & Impact award, which recognizes efforts demonstrating social responsibility through enhancing social and cultural impact, fostering collaboration and building resiliency in the community.
Tourism Kelowna’s application covered their efforts supporting the region as a travel destination in the wake of August’s devastating wildfires.
Those efforts included the ‘Kelowna is Open’ campaign, partnering with the Kelowna Hotel Motel Association, a ‘Shop Local Now’ campaign alongside the Kelowna Chamber and more.
“Tourism Kelowna is proud to be shortlisted for this award as we continue our work towards a sustainable and meaningful impact through tourism,” said Lisanne Ballantyne, president and CEO of Tourism Kelowna.
“It is especially gratifying as it shows that our work, and Kelowna’s Tourism Destination Development Plan, are aligned with the global trend to destination management, where the tourism industry works together with the community to benefit visitors and locals, even in times of adversity.”
Tourism Kelowna’s award application also shared details on the organization’s Destination Development plan.
- Welcoming an appointed director representing Westbank First Nation to the Board of Directors
- Advocating for the return of more direct Seattle flights in partnership with YLW through Air Alaska
- Entering into a two-year agreement to provide visitor services to the District of Lake Country
- Hosting the fourth annual Love for Kelowna Day to connect residents and visitors with tourism businesses
- Supporting over 100 vendors through its retail program at the Kelowna Visitor Centre.
Award winners will be announced on March 7 as part of the BC Tourism Industry Conference.
Click here to see a full list of finalists.