Tourists in Rome checking out the Pantheon, Italy’s most-visited cultural site, will soon be charged a $5.28 entrance fee under an agreement signed Thursday by Italian culture and church officials.
Culture Minister Gennaro Sangiuliano said the move was a matter of “good sense.” The introduction of an entrance fee comes five years after a previous government shelved plans to start charging visitors 2 euros.
Proceeds will be split, with the culture ministry receiving 70% and the Rome diocese 30%, officials said.
HOW SHOULD TRAVELERS PREPARE AHEAD FOR WINTER FLIGHT DELAYS?
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
The monumental domed structure, originally an ancient temple, last year attracted 60,803 visitors, topping the Colosseum’s 38,360. The Pantheon was transformed into a church in 609, called the Basilica of St. Mary and the Martyrs, and Mass is regularly celebrated there.
Under the new plan, visitors under 25 years of age will be charged $2.12. Entrance will be free to Rome residents, minors, people attending Mass and personnel of the basilica, among others.
No date was given for the introduction of the fee, as officials work out technical details. Currently, entrance is free and reservations are required on weekends and public holidays.
Greek Deputy Tourism Minister Sofia Zacharaki in an interview with Athens-Macedonian News Agency referred to the strong dynamic which started the
"Fire tourists" have been urged to keep away from blazes raging in eastern Spain after wildfire season arrived earlier than expected.Officials hav
Our In Focus conversation this week explores Upstate city investments of American Rescue Plan Act funding. JoDee Kenney spoke with Niagara Falls Mayor Robert Re
Our In Focus conversation this week explores Upstate city investments of American Rescue Plan Act funding. JoDee Kenney spoke with Niagara Falls Mayor Rob Resta